Friday, June 29, 2012

The Dunn Deal by Catherine Leggitt








This is the first Catherine Leggitt book I have read. I'm not a huge fan of the cozy mysteries because I get frustrated with the main characters (standard citizens) becoming sleuths. I find myself wanting the character to use common logic and not go into weird and dangerous situations. That being said, I really enjoyed this book.


The book opens with the death of Christine Sterling's friend (and neighbor's son-in-law), Officer Dunn. Christine knows something more has gone on and that Office Dunn did not jump off the cliff. She starts nosing into the investigation and soon finds herself around some unsavory characters. Her life and her dog's life may soon be in jeopardy.


Although Christine is an older lady who kind of butts into a murder investigation, I found her endearing. I love that she is not perfect. She questions God and she gets annoyed when her best friend Zora Jane wants to pray at every moment. Christine seems so real. She tries to keep her faith strong but comes across very human.


I love that the author brings many aspects to life. She is able to write about Jesse's hearing loss in such an accurate way. The author did well bringing in Christian faith throughout the book. There are people in life who constantly want to pray or talk about salvation and other around them get uncomfortable but they know they should be open about faith as well. The author did a great job writing with this conflict included.


As I mention above, I am not a big fan of cozy mysteries but this one was one that I thoroughly enjoyed. I will definitely look into finding more of her books.

No comments:

Post a Comment