Friday, June 29, 2012

Divergent by Veronica Roth




I wasn't sure how this book would be but it was recommended to me by a friend. I started it on Saturday and finished it by lunch on Sunday. It was a great book!

Beatrice (aka Tris) has reached her 16th birthday and now has to make the decision as to which faction she will join for the rest of her life. There is no going back on her choice...she will stay with her parents or she will leave them and hurt them. In the process, Tris finds out that she doesn't test the same as most people and this brings attention to her...and it could lead to serious trouble. The only thing keeping her going is to make her family proud and her new friends. As times progresses, Tris soon finds out what strength she really has within her.

I enjoyed the character building of the people as well as the factions. I found myself thinking about what faction I would want to choose to live within.

The author has a vivid imagination and describes the areas she has in her mind so well that the reader can definitely put themselves within the scenes of the story.

I found myself on edge because of the conflict that Tris has to face when she enters her new faction. I also find myself angry at the "bullies" within the story. I feel it goes to the author's ability to write good characters when you are feeling emotions towards those characters.

I knew this book was the start of a trilogy and I was nervous that the end would leave me hanging too much. I was pleasantly surprised. The author was able to leave the reader hanging without making the reader frustrated. There was some resolution at the end of the story that allows you to be patient while you wait for the next book...but you still want that next book to come out sooner than later.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this book to other fans of YA dystopian stories. In fact, I have already sent the book to a family member.

No comments:

Post a Comment